Raw rice (Pachha Ari) – 4 cups
White gram – 1/2 cup
White sesame seeds – 25 gm
Cumin seeds – 25 gm
Asafoetida powder – 2 tbsp
Butter – 100 gm
Salt – As reqd
Oil – for frying
1. Wash and clean the rice well. Leave it to dry.
2. Once it has dried completely, powder it nicely.
3. Fry the white gram and powder it. Keep it aside.
4. Mix together the powdered rice, powdered gram, white sesame seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, butter and salt. Do not add water.
5. Take a little of this mixture and add water to it to get a dough like consistency.
6. Take this dough and twist it into circular shapes of that of the murukku (chakkli).
7. Heat oil in a kadai or a pan.
8. To test if the oil is hot enough, drop a pinch of dough into it. If it sinks, the oil isn`t hot enough. If the dough springs to the top with bubbles all around it, then the oil is ready.
9. Drop in the murukku gently into the hot oil and fry till golden brown.
10. Keep flipping the sides till the murukku is done.
11. Store in an air tight container.